Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It all comes out

Austin had surgery yesterday to get his "hardware" taken out of his leg. I was so impressed with him, he wasn't even nervous. I think he was just so excited to get it out. Especially the plate in his knee that a tendon was rubbing over. His leg is now very strait and aligned and we get a break from surgeries for a few more years.


Austin before the surgery.

We were stuck in this little room for 3 hours because the surgery before Austin's took longer then expected- so Brian decided to entertain us.


Austin after surgery. He's still a little out of it.


Here's his full leg bandage. He keeps this on until Friday.


Here are the screws and plate that were in his knee.

Here is the screw that was in his ankle.

Austin is doing great and is already getting bored from just sitting around. I'm sure he'll be up and around in no time.

5 comments:

Jayson & Sara said...

WOW! The screw in my arm was about as long as the one in Austin's ankle, but a little fatter. You look great Austin! We'll have to compare scars.

Jen said...

What a trooper! He is such a cute kid...and Brian looked very fetching!

Matt and Carla said...

Austin is so brave! I hope he's doing & recovering well from the surgery, no fun! I have to admit when I saw the actual screws and plate that were in his knee & ankle I had to crindge, they seriously made me weak! It's crazy that they actually stick real looking screws in the human body. I've got quite a bit of "hardware" in my ankle that drives me crazy, I'm too chicken to get it out w/ the down time & pain...hands down to Austin! It was probably nice to have a little humor (meaning Brian) thrown into your day as well, funny picture! Hope the recovery is going well!

Tara said...

I'm glad it all went well. It's always hard to see your kids go through that kind of stuff.

Those screws are huge! Definitely makes him look tough.

Camille said...

Wow, I'm shocked to see how big those screws are. I'm glad things went well. Way to go Austin!
I'm not sure how to comment about Brian and how he blew up that balloon... I could never do that.