Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My first 5K run

Okay, so I finally tried my first 5K run last Saturday. One of the teacher's at Rylie's school is fighting breast cancer and so the community sponsered this run to help raise money for her treatment. I have been wanting to try a 5K for awhile and thought this was the perfect opportunity.

It was a nice sunny day, blue sky, no rain. I start out thinking this is going to be great. Soon young children and old men are passing me by. I am huffing and puffing and thinking, wow, I am still out of shape ( I have been running about 3-4 times a week for about 6 months). Of course I was pushing about an extra 100 punds (stroller + 2 kids). I had a great time and am proud that I finished and wasn't dead last.

I think I would like to try another one, this time with no kids!



8 comments:

the Dover Family said...

Hey Jackie, yes I took over our blog in November so I post way more often than Steve did. (I have more time) So stay in touch and great job on the 5K. You're a better woman than I am. :)

Lynne said...

AWESOME!! I'd like to try that too, but I WOULD be dead last for sure. Congratulations.

AmyDawn said...

Holy Cow! I could never do that! I tried cross country in high school and in the first meet I WAS dead last! Your trip to Cancun looked awesome--I am in a frozen wasteland right now and am practically drooling over your tropical pictures!

Melissa said...

I still can't believe you did your first 5K pushing your two kids in a stroller. Good job again!

Jen said...

Good for you! I need your inspiration!

Bills said...

Way to go Jackie! I would love to run a race with you sometime.

Matt and Carla said...

Jackie, that is so great that you ran a 5K...you're more of a women than me. That's a lot of work & determination...escpecially pushing a stroller, way to go!

Larsen Family said...

You are an inspiration! That is awesome.