Saturday, April 7, 2007

Gotta Start Somewhere

I've read a few blogs but never thought that someday I'd be writing one myself. But, as we've been reading blogs from our friends we realized what a great tool this is to stay in touch with family and friends.

There seem to be a lot of firsts that we have to go through. Our first bath, steps, birthday, crush, kiss, failure, etc. Some are definitely more pleasant than others. We wish we could forget some and relive others. Some, ...well, some are so special that we reserve a special place in the deepest part of our memories and have a direct link to them to bask in those moments. For me, the type of memories I have stored away are ones like my first diving grab at second base, the first time I was in the tube of a wave, the first time I saw Jackie, the birth of my children, etc.

My hope in the first attempt at a family blog is to register those firsts - good, bad and funny.

Today there was one such first that was really a joy. We were out front talking with our neighbors and doing some yard work and Jackie set Sienna down in the grass. Her face instantly lit up! She twirled her little feet around in the grass enjoying the new sensation while at the same time her hands roamed to blades of grass, grabbing and pulling at the source of a new sensation. But the joy was short lived as Jackie realized that we had just fertilized the lawn and she shouldn't be on it.

Jackie picked her up and Sienna instantly let us know of her unhappiness by giving out a whine. But Jackie, ever the uber mom and thinking quickly on her feet, walks over to our neighbor's lawn and set her down.

Oh the Joy! The sweet wonderful elation! Back on all fours in the nervanah, which is grass and rocks and bugs. The beautiful simple smile and satisfaction.

See, the beauty of our memories is the ability to retain these firsts and relive them when we choose. Now, writing this blog I've been able to relive this moment over and over again and share one of the simple sweet joys that I find each and every day or at least I try to find.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this - my first blog.

5 comments:

Tara said...

Yea! I'm so glad you started a blog! You're right, it's a great way to document memories and share them with family and friends. Looking forward to reading your posts!

Stephanie said...

What a great first post, you're a great writer Brian. Cute story about Sienna.

Camille said...

That's a great story. Keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

I may just have to give this blog thing a try myself. You may have just inspired me!

Steve

the Dover Family said...

I am not sure how the kids found any of those eggs. They look like they are so well hidden on the street there!!!